Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Party Time!

JD's second birthday is upon us. Well, Monday, anyway. To celebrate, we are throwing three separate parties to accomodate all of his friends, our friends, and our family.

Today was the first party, thrown for JD's play group friends. We've been attending the same play group for more than 18 months. I think the count in attendance was around 14 kids and 7 adults.

Saturday we are hosting a party for our friends who have kids. Some of them are JD's buddies, some are acquaintences. There will be around 10 kids and 15-20 adults.

Sunday is the family party. Last year, my wife's extended family was invited. This year mine is. We'll have 2 kids and around 25 adults.

Madness, I tell you!

For the kid parties, we're doing cupcake decorating. It's fun, easy, and everybody likes cupcakes. I have made them myself. The yellow cake cupcakes came out very good. The chocolate cupcakes came out okay. Both are very tasty (as good as bakery), but they aren't quite up to bakery presentation quality. Frankly, I don't think the kids will care what they look like as they are plastering them with frosting, M&Ms, Dots, and sprinkles.

For the family party, it's pizza and salad with a store-bought cake. I wouldn't be afraid to make the cake; it's the fillings and frostings that appear to be the hard part. I'm a snob when it comes to cooking - if I'm making the cake from scratch, I should make the frosting and buttercream from scratch, right? I made the cupcake frosting myself. That came out nicely. But making the buttercream and the frosting, then actually putting them on the cake and getting everything even and looking nice? I'll leave that to the professionals. I make tasty, not pretty.

We'll see how everything goes. I'll post pictures next week, if I survive.

1 comment: