Saturday, January 10, 2009

Appreciation for the Flashlight

A power outage makes one appreciate the little things that we take for granted.

Like central heating. Lights. Digital Cable. Cordless phones. Refrigeration.

All things that we consider utilities these days.

Obviously, we had a power outage tonight. It was about 7:30pm. I was in the basement bathroom. After unzipping my pants, taking aim, and letting it fly, darkness ensued. Fortunately, I have good aim. And good lungs - my wife was wondering where I was and how long it would be to bring her a flashlight. I was laughing, trying to tell her that I was peeing.

ComEd's automated system said the power would be restored by 9:30pm. We resolved to get some books and read to JD in bed till he had to go to sleep. Around 8:30pm, power was restored. It felt like I was under water and was finally able to breach the surface and take a breath. Unfortunately, the Blackhawks lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment