Monday, June 11, 2007

A Word on Jail

To all of the people saying, "Hooray!" to Paris Hilton going to jail, I have something to say to you: You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Being a father, that was my censored statement. If I felt appropriate, I would use much harsher language about the people rooting for her imprisonment.

People think that she's getting what she deserves. To those who think that the rich always get off easy, think again. If it were you or I in her position, there's no way that we would be in jail for the laws that she's broken. We'd be in outpatient rehab, probably on probation or supervision, a loss of license, possibly even revoked. The likelihood that we'd have received jail time is very slim. She's been made an example to her adoring fans.

This is not the place where I want to discuss why she's a celebrity. That's for another time. Right now, I want to focus on the fact that she's a twenty-something who's been caught partying irresponsibly.

I know that I've broken plenty of laws that, had I been caught, I probably wouldn't be living the life I currently lead. And that's after the trouble that I did get myself into, then dealt with.

Most of you out there have either broken, or know someone who has broken, as many of the same laws as Miss Hilton or more. I've got news for you: just because you or people you know didn't get caught, doesn't mean that you're not as guilty. Every time you're at a bar or a party and someone who's had three or more drinks and drives home is just as guilty as Paris.

This will be a lesson that I will teach my son. It is easier to point a finger at the people you think do the wrong thing, but it is hard to look in the mirror and confess to yourself all of the things that make you imperfect.

Did you break the speed limit today? Did you cut someone off? Did you earn cash and not pay taxes? Did you throw something away in the garbage that is supposed to disposed of in a special manner, like batteries? Did you drink milk past the expiration date?

The next time you hear someone saying how Hilton got what she deserved, just wonder if you got what you deserved when you broke the rules. You might wonder how you're still walking the streets. If you're the person who doesn't break the rules, then please pass judgment. For all you Christians out there, remember your education:

John 8:7 ..."He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone."

I think it's a lesson we'd all benefit from.

No comments:

Post a Comment