Friday, January 29, 2021

Tissue study: making epithelial flashcards

 I'm currently studying about tissues. A classmate asked me about my methods of studying. I mentioned flashcards and pneumonic devices. Another thing that I just thought of as I was creating a flashcard was opposites.

For example, there are 6 main functions of epithelium:

  1. Protection
  2. Absorption
  3. Filtration
  4. Excretion
  5. Secretion
  6. Sensory reception
However, not only for memorization, but understaning the funcions better is to group them. The easiest pairs to make are absorption & filtration and excretion & secretion. 

While epithelial tissues can absorb beneficial nutrients, they also filter out bad stuff (we hope.)
While epithelial tissues excrete waste, they also secrete beneficial fluids.

I also think that protection and sensory reception can be grouped together. After all, while protection can be a barrier to harmful elements, those outside elements can be sensed to trigger a response from the body (hot stove -> pull hand away.) 

So maybe I'll reorder them on my flashcard:
  1. Protection
  2. Sensory reception
  3. Absorption
  4. Filtration
  5. Excretion
  6. Secretion
***

In making flashcards, one of hte hardest things to do is decide what goes on a flashcard. For example, I'm in the first section of the topic and already have 11 cards because, for example, there are different kinds of epithelia, then each type of epithelia has its own composition and characteristics, and those components have THEIR OWN components and characteristics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment