Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Riled Up

Potty training. It's what convinced me that I have no desire to rear another child.

Here's today's example: Bunny, time to go potty.
No, I don't have to.
(I take my shoes off, then remember that I need to schedule a service call with out alarm company.)
Sniff, sniff. I knew it.

Holding my anger together was challenging. An accident is an accident. Bunny is yet not telling us when she needs to go potty, but is generally pretty agreeable to go on a regular schedule.

I suppose her refusal should've been my clue.

So when she takes a dump in her diaper within minutes of my potty suggestion, how am I supposed to react?

Seriously?

With how many tones of voice can the following be said: "Bunny, where are you supposed to poop? That's right, in the potty. But where did you poop? Next time, go in the potty."

Sweetly, gently, annoyed, anger, disappointment, disapproval . . .

I have used them all. Again I must remind myself that time will be the biggest factor in behavior change, not the way in which I remind and teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment