Monday, April 11, 2022

Looking ahead: Combating immobility

 I'm thinking about my future nursing practice. We're currently talking about mobility / impaired mobility. Could I carry a ball with me that I play a little catch with patients who are able? Everyone loves to play catch!

Could I have every patient who is able get up and walk a lap in their room every time I come in? For example, when I bring their meds, get up - even if just to stand up. Maybe walk 10 feet then back to bed. Just something to get them out and it may  not take a lot of time. 

What if they can't get up? Can I get them to roll side to side? Could they just dangle? Do some ROM and / or incentive spirometry as I prep their meds? I bet I could get some sort of board and / or bar to get them to do some leg presses or a sort of bench press while in bed. 

How about having an ongoing game like checkers, chess, or cards that I come and play for 5 minutes here and there? 

Can my patients text me instead of / in addition to call light? Teach them to send a text that begins with their initials and room#, then their need. Obviously, this only works if I have a work-issued communication device.

I'm just thinking a lot about what I'm seeing and experiencing as a nurse. I want to connect with my patients for the purposes of healing, not just get them in, get them out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment